BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lesson 12 NT Choice #1

Yay for the last lesson!
This list is of the scriptures and how the Savior suffered emotional and physically
1.Matt 26:45-50 - knowing that one of his friends would betray him.
Matt 26:67-78 -was spit upon, buffeted, smote
Matt 27:26- scourged
"Derision and Scourging"- whipped, smoted, beaten, mocked
Matt 27:28- stripped
Matt 27: 29-30- mocked; crown of thorns, scarlet robe, spat upon, smoted
Matt 27:31 sent to be crucified
Matt 27:35 crucified, and the soldiers cast lots.
2. From this list I can see that Christ endured a lot of pain in the last 3 days of his mortal life. He took all of the sins of the world on his shoulders, was betrayed by someone who he considered to be a very close friend, and was hated and crucified by people who hated him. I could imagine him feeling sad that he had just done everyone in the world a favor and some of them were mean to him. He of course knew that they didn't realize the great favor that he did for them, but I'm sure he was feeling discouraged at one point in those three days. He never murmured once though. I am amazed because I know that any normal human being would have complained a ton if all that had happened to them. I can picture Jesus sitting in a cafe, drinking a cup of peppermint hot chocolate, when Peter walks in and sits down at his table:
Peter: (Yawning) Awwww, glad I found you. How are you feeling?
Jesus: Oh man, don't even get me started on how my day was.
Peter: Was it really that bad?
Jesus: It was worse than bad; ugh, first off I stayed up all night and I'm EXHAUSTED. Secondly, I took all of the sins of the world on my shoulders, I sweated blood from every pore, and I still haven't taken a bath. I feel disgusting.
Peter: Wow, that is pretty awful. I seriously think that nothing can be worse than that.
Jesus: Ya, and now in like 10 minutes, Judas is going to betray me to those thugs (aka Pharisees). I thought he loved me. And I love him, why would he do that to me?
Peter:I don't know why, but I always thought he was kinda shady. Well Jesus, if it makes you feel better I will always be by your side.
Jesus: You say that now, but before the end of this miserable night you are going to deny me thrice. I mean, I still love ya man, but your going to do it.
Peter: I would NEVER. Jesus, your one of my best friends. I would never do that to you.
Jesus: Well, not to change the subject or anything, but what are you doing in three days time?
Peter: Um, well I don't know. Do you have anything planned?
Jesus: Well I was hoping to visit you, just making sure you weren't busy.
Peter: Are you going away?
Jesus: Ya, it's time to pay my Dad a visit.
Peter: Oh, well that's nice. I'm sure he'll enjoy that.
Jesus: Yes, I'm very excited to see him. Oh, well it's been 10 minutes. I should probably go to Gethsemane.
Peter: Ok, how about I go with you.
Jesus (smiling meekly): I would really like that Peter. How about you wake up James and John, so they can come too.
Peter: Ok, sounds good.
Ok, maybe that is an extreme exaggeration, but in my mind I could totally see it. Christ wasn't like that though. Instead he took it, because he knew that it Father. He always has been able to see the bigger picture. It is because of that he is better fit to help us in any situation than anyone who has ever lived. In Hebrews, it makes a clear statement about how he walked the way of man in order to "be a merciful and faithful high priest... to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.."
It is mercy and compassion that drives Christ to be our constant companion. He is aware of the feelings we have in every situation, because God put Christ through every situation. It amazes me how intelligent our Heavenly Father is. He knew we would need someone in order to carry on when life gets hard. He knew that someone we need to be our coach, mentor, etc when he felt like there was no way to get out of a rut.
Christ was mortal. So was God, but God was a perfect being and he knew that Christ would better be able to relate to us than He to us. Christ felt all things that mortals feel everyday, discouragement, self-consciousness, disappointment. I think my favorite though is the feeling of not being able to fulfill a duty. In D&C 19:18 Christ tells of a moment when he felt like he couldn't accomplish something that he was suppose to do. He makes a perfect example of how with God's help anything is possible. God and Christ will be there for us"... forever and ever"(D&C 122:9).

0 comments: